2.11.07

Phone Calls Overseas

Not too long ago, going overseas meant being disconnected from the usual friends and family for the duration of the trip. Yes, anywhere you could go, facilities existed to make the calls, but the cost was high enough to think twice and forego the casual "How are you?" call.

Even today, if you take your cell phone with you, you'd be able to make calls, at the cost of your first born child. It's crazy!

Fortunately, T-Mobile has brought online UMA. Simply put, get a UMA phone, find a Wi-Fi network anywhere, and call your friends like as if you were in your own home. It's pretty cool.

According to T-Mobile, so long as your phone uses the Wi-Fi signal, you shouldn't be charged international roaming. This makes sense because even Google can't really tell where you are browing their website from due to the sheer size and proliferation of the INTERNET, and they're the big dawgs in search.

I just got my UMA enabled BlackBerry. Let's see if my upcoming trip on United to Oz gives me any savings. On my last weekend trip to India, I ran up a $400 phone bill - and I only spoke to my wife!

No comments: