2.11.07

The Status Race Part 2

Who's heard of the Flight 317 Pajama Party? It's a Victoria Secret party on Virgin America Flight 317 from JFK to LAX on November 28th, and apparently it's by invitation only, and it has models in lingerie and music and all the bells and whistles that Virgin usually lays down. .

With new airlines coming into service, the one trump card they all have is their frequent flyer program. Each have their own nuances but generally they're about the same - you fly - you earn that many miles plus bonuses.

However the value of those miles are a lot like the US Dollar used to be in the 1800s - dependent on who's issuing them.

Each airline allows customers to gain status for less than the status costs. To do this, one only need ask the airline, at which time they enroll you in a sort of challenge, which if met, earns you the full status for a year.

In my experience, climbing the status ladder is more about intelligence gathering than about brute force flying. Airline nerd as I am, I've accumulated miles in a combination of the following ways:

  • Flying a lot
  • Finding steeply discounted fares to ridiculously far away places on flights that leave at odd hours of the night, only to turn around shortly after I land and return
  • Buy gifts for people I don't care about using my credit card that gives me miles
  • Having my brothers and my dad fly around using my frequent flyer number
  • Donating money to causes for which I really don't care (save the Swedish Underwear Models)
  • Write complaint letters to the airlines, which has resulted in some very nice bonuses
  • Gain status, after which the airline typically doubles the miles that you fly

When it comes to using your miles, there are two distinct value propositions. They are, namely, domestic and international travel.

Domestic travel is a standard 25000 miles (20000 on a few), even if you wish to fly across the lake. For me, spending my miles on domestic flights is a very bad deal. The ability to spend miles on international flights is what, in my opinion, truly defines the quality of the plan.

The best programs are through American Airlines. Their redemption costs are lower, at 75000 miles for a coach class ticket. Continental is at 90000 miles.

The one notable difference is that American and their partners in OneWorld will only let you use your miles on a certain quota of seats. If those seats sell out, you're out of luck. Continental, on the other hand, has the same policy, and for a higher cost in miles, will sell you any unsold seat. However the cost is pretty high and not worth it.

United/Lufthansa plans are the hardest to gain status on.

Next, about upgrades ...

No comments: